Karina Fabian lives on the Space Coast of Florida, which means whenever a rocket launches from Kennedy Space Center, her house rumbles, and she can run outside to see the launches from her front yard. It makes a great setting for writing science fiction and fantasy. Although she freelances as a product reviewer for Fit Small Business, she still manages to publish two or three novels a year – mainly because her characters won’t let her slow down. She has been lauded for her ability to write both serious and seriously funny and for her enchanting characters and worlds.
Karina Fabian is a founder of the Catholic Writers Guild and writes (among other things) Catholic science fiction and fantasy. Sometimes, it’s deliberate – what else are you going to do with a dragon who loses a fight to St. George? – and other times, it’s a natural outflow of her belief that true worldbuilding includes faith. She also writes secular SFF and humor. She’s married to a rocket scientist and lives on Florida’s Space Coast.
Other fun facts
- She’s the mother of four adult children.
- Her husband is COO of Vaya Space, a hybrid rocket launch company who expects their first commercial launch to happen in late 2023.
- She’s the founder of the Catholic Writers Guild. Several of her stories feature Catholic characters, from nuns in space to a dragon who had a run-in with St. George and now works for the Church.
- Although not a horror fan, she created a hilarious series about a zombie exterminator. The stories are a cross between Zombieland and The Devil Wears Prada – where the Devil is runaway government regulations and the worst of American culture.
- She recently took lessons in standup comedy.
People often ask Karina what book they should start with. It really depends on what they like, she replies. To that end, she has compiled a book that introduces you to each of her story universes – the Worlds of Fabianspace. The five stories each feature a favorite character from her primary worlds.
- Illusion (Mind Over Series, about a psychic who will save an alien world, if he can regain his sanity)
- DragonEye, PI (Vern is a dragon solving crimes in our world)
- Wokking Dead (Neeta Lyffe is an exterminator who specializes in taking out the undead)
- Antivenin (Nuns in space? Yes, please!)
- The Polarity Panic (Space Traipse: Hold My Beer – the Star Trek parody you never knew you needed)
Karina offers this story free to anyone signing up for her newsletter.
Karina provides a semi-monthly newsletter that’s pretty low key. She talks about her life and writing and shares other books her readers might enjoy. This year, she’ll be going in-depth with her characters and stories, with interviews and behind-the-scenes fun, as well as highlighting other authors. Always, she lets you know about her latest books, so there’s not better way to know what’s coming next.
Space Traipse: Hold My Beer
Star Trek tropes played with a redneck can-do attitude. If you love Star Trek and parodies…
If the Orville and Galaxy Quest give you as much joy as Wrath of Khan…
If you believe (as Tumblr users do) that humans will rule the galaxy because we are the only species crazy enough to tie two warp cores together, reverse the polarity and toss them into a star just to see what will happen….
….then this is the book for you.
There are 5 books in this series, with Book 6 coming out in May. They feature the crew of the HMB Impulsive on its mission to boldly get into trouble like no one has done before. Find the series here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B084RS8VKL
Excerpt from Space Traipse: Hold My Beer, Season 1
Chief of Security, Lt. Enigo LaFuentes is conducting quarterly training. (Everyone had been partying the night before, and they declined to invite him.)
“What do we do in a hostage situation?” Enigo shouted at his security team.
“Stun them both, sir!”
“Stun them both. A headache now saves lives later. Headaches save lives!”
“Headaches save lives, sir!” the team repeated, desperately hoping this was true and the pounding in their own heads would indeed have meaning.
“We are the security forces of the Impulsive. We do not let intruders control the situation. And if the captain says to lower your weapons?”
“Stun them, anyway!”
“Headaches save lives!”
Mind Over Series
Deryl Stephen’s uncontrollable telepathic abilities have landed him in a mental health institution, where no one believes in his powers. But when Joshua Lawson, a student of neuro linguistic programming, takes part in a summer internship, he takes the unique step of accepting Deryl’s reality and teaches him to work with it. As Deryl learns control, he finds his next challenge is to face the aliens who have been contacting him psychically for years—aliens who would use him to further their cause in an interplanetary war.
This is a trilogy with a bonus story, published by DragonMoon Press. Find the first book here: https://www.amazon.com/Mind-Over-Karina-L-Fabian-ebook/dp/B005D94LI0/